Thursday, October 16, 2014

LITERARY FICTION & EMPATHY

In my opinion, I don't agree with what the study is saying. Yes I think that people who read novels such as Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen have a tendency to be more literate than people who only read novels such as Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. However trying to say that reading more literary fiction novels allow you to read someones emotion is a different story. By saying someone can read emotions is like saying someone can read someone's mind. Technology is taking steps to do that but humans are not as advanced. Yes when someone frowns it is an indication that they are either sad or angry but to try and deduce that I can read that because I am more literate is misleading. I'm not arguing with the results, yes people were able to read an emotion but that doesn't mean that others cannot reach the same conclusion. Nobody can fully read an emotion or read someone's brain through it. The brain is a complex network that even at time the bearer doesn't even understand the full capacity at which its working subconsciously. While I'm sitting here focusing on typing this, my brain is telling my body to breath, to circulate, to create new cells, and kill the the virus that has been plaguing me for a week. However interesting that this experiment was I don't agree with the conclusion that reading literary fiction helps make an individual more susceptible to reading emotions.

No comments:

Post a Comment